Monday, September 7, 2009

Vegetable taco recipe

There is no question that these veggie stuffed tacos are both healthy and delicious. Fresh asparagus, sweet peppers, corn, onion, pinto beans and cilantro create a tasty blend of flavors. To increase your protein intake feel free to throw in strips of lean chicken breast. Serve with sliced avocado and a side of salsa. Servings: 6


Here's what you need...


1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup sweet peppers, chopped (red, yellow, orange or all three!)
3 ears of corn, kernels shaved off
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 chopped cilantro
6 whole wheat tortillas
1 avocado, sliced
Salsa


Place the olive oil and garlic in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for about three minutes or until the onions begin to soften.
Add the asparagus and continue to sauté , stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
Add the peppers and continue to sauté , stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
Add the corn, beans and cilantro and sauté for 5 more minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. *Note: Make sure you don't overcook the vegetables. You want them to be tender but not too soft.*
Remove from heat. Place a scoop of the veggie mixture in each tortilla and top with sliced avocado. Serve with your favorite salsa.


Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 308 calories, 8g fat, 46g carbohydrate, 13g fiber, and 12g protein.

2 comments:

  1. Before coming to woodstock bootcamp I had no problems whatsoever with being motivated or motivating myself to exercise I have been running for years.But my eating habits were out of control.Eating what I wanted and when I wanted to.But I began to feel the effects,in my mind,body and spirit.Although I exercised and ran so much sometimes to my toes would bleed I did not feel good at all afterwards due to my bad nutrition and eating habits.The bootcamp along with the nutrition plan has changed my life completely.I could not wrap my mind around the concept of eating every 3 hours and snacks in between meals as being a way to loose weight.I had always assoiciated the more you eat the more weight you gain.But the nutritional plan and the bootcamp has educated me.One of the nuggets that really helped me to make the change was Stacys words of wisdom.She advised me to be prepared at all times by taking the time to beforehand prepare your meals and take snacks with you so if you get hungry you will have a prepared healthy snack available instead of just grabbing something like chips or cookies.So now I began when I cook breakfast to fix my lunch and my dinner and take snacks with me.It's been almost a month since I met Stacy and started working out at the bootcamp and I feel great.I have more energy I am more alert mentally because of putting the right nutritions in my body.I am setting my food boundries when I go out to eat.When I came to bootcamp almost a month ago I was wearing a size 12 pants and yesterday I got into a size 10 and they were a little big on me.Although loosing weight was not my major concern when I came to bootcamp,loosing weight has been a benifits of the nutrition and the bootcamp combined.So no matter where you are on your journey dont ever give up,stay with the bootcamp and you will see results and have great sucess.Stacy you are a blessing in my life.Thank you for your diligent committment to everone's sucess that walks through the doors of the bootcamp.God bless you. Catherine West

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine
    Thanks for giving a 110% in class and out! You have the right mindset to be successful and it shows!

    ReplyDelete